The Watson House, home of a pioneer Hamburg family, is located at 300 North Cherry and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1975.
The house, designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style, was completed. in 1918. The two story structure is essentially square in plan with a one-story rear projection (originally the kitchen). The house is on a large corner lot. A two-story verandah shelters the two street side elevations (south and west elevations). The fenestration of the front or entry facade (west elevation) .is symmetrically composed. The location of window and door penetrations on other elevations are due to interior space utilization.
The house is constructed of tan or buff brick. Window and door openings are spanned by simple rectangular cast stone lintels. The wooden frame windows are double hung with a large single paned lower sash and a smaller multiple paned (vertical and diamond pattern) upper sash. The main entry door and the door opening onto the second verandah level have glass side lights and transoms.
The two-story verandah is unique in that its eight large Ionic columns rise their full height, untouched by the second-story porch framing, to support the verandah roof which, in turn, supports, by steel rods, the second story verandah.
The main roof is hipped with two gabled projections over the otherwise flat verandah roof. These gable ends are stuccoed and decorated with semicircular fanlights. A classic three-part entablature, with an extended cornice and denticulated frieze, bands the house's entire roof/wall juncture, gable ends, and second floor verandah floor structure. The upper verandah has a simple wooden railing consisting of large capped newel posts, a rectangular hand rail and square balusters.
The interior of the house, remodeled circa 1963, retains many of its original decorative elements.. Two massive Roman columns and a paneled beam visually separate the entry hall/sitting room and parlor. Interior doors are paneled and simply trimmed.
Constructed at a cost of $11,000, the Watson House is an architecturally significant structure in its massive architectural design. Not only significant architecturally, the Watson House is important in its representation of one of the pioneer families who settled in Hamburg. The house was set in a grove of large pin oaks, planted by the original owner, on a corner lot two blocks from the downtown square. In an area in which smaller structures surround the property, the Watson House is a focal point in the city.
Designed and built by W. C. Major Bunn, the house is a two-story brick structure with large proportions. The house is covered by an intersecting gable roof with fan windows in the pediments. A two-story portico which spans the width of two elevations features a flat roof and denticulated cornice. The portico is supported by eight-evenly spaced round Ionic capital columns and surrounded on the second story by a railing and balusters.
Skilled cabinetmaker E. T. Johnson of Hamburg worked on the construction of the Watson House. The stairway and flooring are of pine which was hauled from an eastern Arkansas town. The huge columns were bought in West Virginia and shipped to Hamburg by rail. The brick sidewalk leading to the structure was from a previous house which stood on the property.
The original house on the property was bought by Fannie Mosley, grandmother of the wife of David Watson. The entire block was the property of the Watson-Mosley family at one time.
The house was constructed by David Elijah Watson, son of Elijah David Watson of North Carolina. The elder Watson came to Ashley County by wagon train in 1864. In 1865 he began a hardware business in Hamburg. Elijah David Watson owned farm land in the delta region of Ashley County, and in addition to his hardware business, he maintained a "furnishing" business for local farmers.
David Watson married George Trezevant in 1896. They had two children, Norman Trezevant and Floie. Mrs. Watson was never a healthy person and died in 1910 in Phoenix, Arizona, while suffering from tuberculosis.
David Watson attended school at the Academy in Hamburg and at Vanderbilt in Nashville, Tennessee. He was on the board of directors of the Hamburg Bank, was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, was on the Flood Administration Board during World War I and was active in local political affairs. His son, Trezevant Watson, attended the military academy in Sweetwater, Tennessee.
Norman Trezevant Watson, Jr.,graduated from Hamburg High School, then joined the Army ROTC. Lt. Col. Watson retired from the Army in 1975 and returned to Hamburg where he operated the family hardware business.
The Ashley County Historical Society eventually acquired the Watson House for use as a county museum.