Pfc. Marshall Jackson, listed as “colored,” served with the 368 Infantry Regiment, 93 Infantry Division of the U. S. Army. He died October 27, 1945, after the war was over, and is buried at Plot B, Row 10, Grave 136, Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines.

Panzie Jenkins

Staff Sgt. Panzie Jenkins, son of Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Jenkins of Route 1, Crossett and a graduate of Waller's Chapel School, entered the Army March 11, 1941. He served in Alaska, France and Germany, earning two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, Good Conduct Medal, three Battle Stars, and an Oak Leaf Cluster. Killed in action April 2, 1945, he was 28 years old and had worked at the Crossett paper mill prior to induction.

He had served with an armored unit in the Aleutians, participating in action at Dutch Harbor, before he was transferred to the European theater with the Third Army in December, 1944. He had received one Purple Heart for a wound received in Germany, but was killed before details of that medal were sent home. He had a grammar school education and was single with no dependants when he enlisted at age 25.

Roswell Verl Johnson

Pvt. Roswell Verl Johnson, 27, of Crossett was killed July 20, 1944, in the battle for France. The son of J. H. Johnson of Sheridan, he worked at the Crossett Lumber Company until entering the army on November 3, 1941.

Thomas Louis Johnson

Sgt. Thomas L. Johnson, son of Mr. and Mrs. T .W. Johnson of North Crossett, attended Crossett High School. He entered the Army on June 13, 1941, and trained at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri; San Luis Obispo, California; and Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Serving overseas in the Pacific Theatre, he was awarded the Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and Expert Infantryman's Badge.

He went overseas in July, 1943, and served in Hawaii and New Guinea. He was wounded in action in January, 1945, in the Philippines. A machine gunner, he was then killed in action February 28, 1945, in Manila when he was 26 years old. He was awarded the Bronze Star posthumously for "meritorious achievement in connection with military operations against the Japanese" near Alacan, Luzon, Philippine Islands on January 28, 1945.

Jesse Rayford Jones

Pfc Jesse Rayford Jones was in the U. S. Marine Corps. The son of Richard I. Jones of Route 2, Hamburg, he died when the cruiser USS Helena went down July 6, 1943, and is listed as missing in action or buried at sea on the Tablets of the Missing at Manila American Cemetery, Manila, Philippines. He earned the Purple Heart. He attended school at Crossett Camp and enlisted in 1940. He was on duty on the Helena at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attack came on December 7, 1941.

On the night the ship went down, the Helena battle group was off the northwest corner of New Georgia, three cruisers and four destroyers composing the group. Racing down to face them were three groups of Japanese destroyers, a total of ten enemy ships. Four of them peeled off to accomplish their mission of landing troops. By 0157 Helena began blasting away with a fire so rapid and intense that the Japanese later announced in all solemnity that she must have been armed with 6-inch machine guns. Helena made a perfect target when lit by the flashes of her own guns. Seven minutes after she opened fire, she was hit by a torpedo, and within the next three minutes, she was struck by two more. Almost at once she began to jackknife. Below, she was flooding rapidly even before she broke up. Helena's men went over the side. Pfc. Jones was one of the approximately 168 men lost from the contingent of about 900 on the ship. Helena was the first ship to receive the Navy Unit Commendation.

The official Marine Corps record of the engagement said:

1. At about 0200 on July 6, 1943, the U. S. S. Helena, operating with a naval task force, encountered an enemy surface force near the mouth of Kula Gulf, New Georgia, B. S. I. The enemy force was engaged and in the resulting battle the Helena was struck by three torpedoes launched by enemy destroyers. Shortly afterwards the ship was abandoned and it sank. The entire personnel of the marine detachment left the ship prior to its sinking. No records were saved.

2. One officer and thirty one men of the detachment were rescued by destroyers after being in the water several hours. They were transferred to the USS St. Louis and USS Honolulu at Advance Naval Base, New Hebrides. On July 23 they embarked on board the USS Lew Wallace for San Francisco.

3. The commanding Officer, Marine Detachment and five marines remained in the water without rafts or boats for about thirty hours after which they found a rubber boat which had been dropped by a United States plane. About twenty other survivors from the Helena were in or holding on to the boat. By improvising a sail and paddling for an additional thirty hours the survivors were able to reach land.

Harold G. Jordan

Lt. Harold G. Jordan, formerly of Hamburg, was killed in an air raid over Hanover, Germany, in March, 1945, while piloting a P47. Among the decorations he won were the Air Medal with seven Oak Leaf Clusters, the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Purple Heart. He and his family were natives of Hamburg, but they had moved away prior to the beginning of World War II. He enlisted in the U. S. Army after doing construction work in Hawaii and had previously served in the U. S. Marines. His remains were returned to Hamburg in 1947, and a funeral service was held in the First Baptist Church on Sunday, December 14, with Rev. Stanley Jordan officiating and military services by the local post of the American Legion. He was buried in his family cemetery. His enlistment records show that he enlisted on January 18, 1943, in California. He was single with no dependants and was born in 1920.

Benton Edward Kelley

Army Private Benton Edward Kelley, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ervin D. Kelley of Crossett, apparently died on July 27, 1944, while he was serving with the 330 Infantry Regiment, 83 Infantry Division. A memorial service was led in the First Baptist Church in Crossett on August 19, 1944. In October, 1944, the War Department officially listed him as killed in action in Europe. He is buried at Plot G, Row 14, Grave 38, at the Normandy American Cemetery, St. Laurent-sur-Mer, Normandy, France. His awards included the Purple Heart. His enlistment records show that he was born in 1925 in Mississippi. He enlisted on November 9, 1943, in Little Rock. He had been an automobile serviceman in civilian life and was single with no dependants when he enlisted.

Haskell H. Kelley

U. S. Navy Chief Warrant Officer Haskell H. Kelley of Hamburg served with the 56 Battalion of the Seabees in the South Pacific including Hawaii, Guam and Saipan. He enlisted in the U. S. Navy in 1942 and served until 1946.

He headed a construction crew which built airstrips as the American troops advanced in the South Pacific and also worked in handling cargo on navy ships. He died September 6, 1946, with his death declared "service connected." He is buried in the Hamburg Cemetery, but is not listed with those who lost their lives on the Ashley County Veterans Memorial.

John R. Lacey

John R. Lacey is listed on the veterans’ memorial on the courthouse lawn, but not on the base of the old flagpole on the square. No information was found concerning him.

Albert C. Leamons

Albert C. Leamons is listed on the veterans’ memorial on the courthouse lawn, but not on the base of the old flagpole on the square. According to information provided by Michael Leamons, he was a private in the U. S. Army and died of wounds. Michael Leamons said that Albert Leamons was the son of Robert and Maudie Leamans, and his family at various times lived in Ashley and Union counties in Arkansas and Caddo and Bossier parishes in Lousiana. He is also listed on the Union County War Memorial in El Dorado.

James W. Lindsey

Pfc. James W. Lindsey, son of Mrs. Jessie C. Lindsey of Crossett, was killed in action during the invasion of Italy on October 8, 1943. He had previously been awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star. He volunteered on October 1, 1940, and had served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. His citation for the Bronze Star included the following statement: "Private First Class Lindsey and seven other soldiers corralled 17 captured enemy mules and ingeniously improvised packs saddles from odds and ends of equipment and salvage, maintained the packs and cared for the mules across more than 75 miles of tortuous terrain during the 19 day period. On numerous occasions, the mule train came under enemy fire with shells bursting within 75 yards. At one precipitous point, two mules lost their footing, fell and were killed. The men retrieved, redistributed and repacked the lost loads. By their unflagging efforts in keeping this train operating, they materially assisted in maintaining the combat efficiency of their company and battalion." He was born in 1917 and was single with no dependants when he enlisted in the infantry branch of the regular army in 1940.

>b>LaRoy M. Lowry

S/Sgt. LaRoy M. Lowry, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Martin Lowry, was born at Snyder on October 6, 1919. He lettered in football at Dermott High School for four years and graduated in 1938. He enlisted in the infantry on August 4, 1941, and trained at Camp Wolters, TX. A member of the 2 Division, 38 Infantry, he left the United States for Northern Ireland on October 6, 1943.

He participated in the major campaigns of Normandy, Northern France, Central Europe and the Ardennes Forest. His unit captured the famous Hill 192 at St. Lo, France, where he was wounded on July 12, 1944. He served with the 38 Anti-Tank Company in Belgium where he was taken prisoner and reported as missing in action on December 17, 1944. He was awarded the Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal and Combat Infantryman's Badge.

Joe Carroll McCain

Sgt. Joe C. McCain, 28, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. C.(Willie) Roark of Wilmot, entered the Army in November, 1942. Trained at Camp Rucker, Alabama, and Camp Pickett, Virginia, he served overseas for five months in England and France.

He was killed in action June 26, 1944, in France and was awarded the Purple Heart. Memorial services were held in the Wilmot Baptist Church.

He was married to the former Mary Leona Roberts of Portland. He served with the 746 Tank Battalion and is listed on Tables of Missing at Normandy, France.

His enlistment record indicates that he was married and was born in 1916. He was a native of Mississippi and enlisted in Shreveport, LA.

Sgt. Martin Roy McCoy

A marker in the Portland Cemetery remembers T. Sgt. Marvin Roy McCoy, born 17 May 1918 and died 7 Feb 1944. The marker says, "Gave His Life Anzio Beach, Italy,. Buried Nettuno, Italy, Plot G, Row 37, Grave 868."

A Technician Fourth Class in the U. S. Army, Sgt. McCoy served with the 95 Evacuation Hospital. His grave is in the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery in Nettuno. He enlisted from Louisiana and received the Purple Heart. He is not listed on the Ashley County Veterans Memorial on the courthouse lawn.

William B. McDuffie

Ship's Cook First Class William Bayne McDuffie, son of Mr. and Mrs. George T. McDuffie, was born in Hamburg on January 31, 1923. He graduated from Portland High School and enlisted in the Navy on February 25, 1943. He trained at the San Diego Naval Training Station and attended Cooks and Bakers School at San Francisco.

He was assigned to the Submarine Service with Submarine Division 62, going to sea for combat patrols on February 6, 1944. On April 27, 1944, he was reported missing in action and presumed dead. He was awarded the Submarine Patrol Medal and Purple Heart. His mother, Carrie McDuffie, who lived in Snyder and later in Cullendale, said she was informed he was missing as of April 7. He is listed in the Tablets of the Missing at the Honolulu National Cemetery.

Woodrow W. Maxwell

Pfc Woodrow W. Maxwell, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. W. Maxwell of Crossett, was born on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918, and attended school at Waller's Chapel. He volunteered and entered the Army June 10, 1941. He trained at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri; Fort Sill, Oklahoma; Fort Riley, Kansas; Camp Roberts, California; Camp Beaugard, Louisiana; Camp Robinson, Arkansas; San Luis Obispo, California; and Nashville, Tennessee. He served overseas in Hawaii, Australia, New Guinea, and Philippines with the Sixth Army. He earned the Purple Heart, Combat Infantryman Badge, and Good Conduct Medal.

He was wounded in action January 26, 1945, and died from wounds received in action on January 28, 1945, on Luzon Island, Philippines. He was 26 years old. Survivors included his parents, five brothers, James and Homer Maxwell of Crossett, Terry and Lucian Maxwell of Orange, Texas, and S/Sgt. Lester Maxwell, "somewhere in France;" and two sisters, Mrs. Ray Forrest and Buford Sue Maxwell, both of Crossett. His tombstone at the Carlock Cemetery notes that he served with the Sixth Army's Sixty-Third Infantry.

William M. Melton

William Marion "Bill" Melton died in an accident on March 25, 1948, while serving in Germany. A family member said his death came from injuries when the tail gate of a truck fell and hit him on the head. His remains were returned to Ashley County for burial at the Miller Chapel Cemetery east of Wilmot.

Born July 3, 1929, in Ashley County to John Sidney and Mamie Garrison Melton, he attended the Dry Bayou Elementary School and Wilmot High School. He served with the Ark. Tec. 5 Ord Dept in World War II.

Leroy Harold Moore

Staff Sgt. Leroy H. Moore, 20, son of Walter and Alma O. Moore of Crossett, a 1942 graduate of Crossett High School, entered the Army Air Corps May 21, 1943. He trained at Scott Field, Illinois, and served overseas in England and Germany with the 565 Bomber Squadron, 389 Bomber Group (Heavy). His awards included the Air Medal and two Oak Leaf Clusters, three Battle Stars and, posthumously, the Purple Heart. He was killed in action August 6, 1944, in Germany. A fellow airman wrote that Leroy was on his fourteenth mission, flying to an oil refinery at Hapsburg, six miles south of Hamburg, Germany. His plane, Pennie, was the lead aircraft on the mission.

Flak was intense, with flak coming through the side of the plane and hitting Leroy above the knee. Crew members applied a tourniquet, but the B-24 bomber lost an engine, which delayed the return to base. Immediately after the landing, the base doctors took over, but he died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Funeral services were held August 8, 1944, at the American Military Cemetery in Cambridge, England. He was a gunner and radio operator on a B-24 bomber. He is also listed in some places as age 22 and a Hamburg High graduate. He is buried at Plot E, Row 5, Grave 73, at the Cambridge American Cemetery, Cambridge, England.

Thurston Bobby Oliver

Pfc. Thurston Bobby Oliver, 20, was killed in action on Mindanao Island, Philippines, on May 8, 1945. He had been in the army since June 1, 1943, and had received basic training at Camp Roberts, California. He was sent overseas in January, 1944.

He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. "Robbie" Oliver of Fountain Hill. His remains were returned to Ashley County, and a memorial service was held at the Flat Creek Baptist Church on Sunday, August 5, with the American Legion assisting with the service. Burial was in the Flat Creek Cemetery. His enlistment records indicate that he had one year of high school, was single with no dependents and enlisted in Little Rock.

Claude Kenneth Oslin

Staff Sgt Claude K. “Kenny: Oslin, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.M. Oslin, graduate of Crossett High School, entered the Army in 1942. Trained at Camp Barkley, Texas, and Camp Dix, New Jersey, he served in the European Theatre, and he was wounded in action on January 16, 1945, in Belgium. His awards included the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and a Presidential Citation. He died March 20, 1945, in Germany, from wounds received in combat with the 359 Infantry Regiment, 90 Infantry Division. A memorial service was held at the First Baptist Church in Crossett. He was born in Crossett on January 21, 1914, and attended Louisiana College in Pineville, LA. He worked in Mobile, AL, before joining the Army in March, 1942. He had been a member of a dance orchestra in Crossett, and as a memorial, his parents donated 25 standard orchestrations of music to the Crossett Orchestra. His parents received a posthumous Purple Heart. He is buried at Plot B, Row 11, Grave 5, at the Luxembourg American Cemetery, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg.

Arthur Richard Owens

Seaman Second Class Arthur Richard Owens, 17, son of Mr. and Mrs. Chester A. Owens, was the first Crossett war casualty. A graduate of Crossett High School, he entered the Navy on February 23, 1943, and was killed September 9, 1943. He was in training at Kingsville, Texas, and was killed in a plane crash. His remains were returned to Ashley County for burial.

William Pamplin

Cpl. William Pamplin, 29, died October 29, 1944, from tuberculosis contracted from exposure while serving with the armed forces. Born November 6, 1914, at Portland, he attended school in Boydell.

He entered the armed forces June 30, 1941, at Camp Robinson. He trained at Camp Wallace, Texas, for basic and then at Fort Bliss, Texas, for advanced training with the Coastal Artillery. He served with the 77th Coast Artillery antiaircraft unit in Manchester, Connecticut, until his discharge in October, 1943. Funeral services were at the Snyder Baptist Church.

Marvin Allen Pendergrass

Pfc Marvin A. Pendergrass, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. D.H. Pendergrass of Crossett, attended school at Crossett. Born October 27, 1923, in Crossett, after his education, he worked at a furniture store. He entered the U. S. Marine Corps July 11, 1941, and trained at San Diego, California.

He left the United States on October 1, 1942, with Co. A, 1 Btn, 21 Marines, and arrived in the Solomon Islands. He served overseas in Hawaii, Guadalcanal, Bougainville, and Guam. He earned the Asiatic-Pacific Ribbon, American Defense Ribbon and Purple Heart (posthumously). He was wounded in action July 21, 1944, and died of his wounds on July 27, 1944, "somewhere in the South Pacific," as the War Department announced. A memorial service was led in the First Baptist Church in Crossett on August 19, 1944. He is included as missing in action or buried at sea on the Tablets of the Missing at Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii. He received the Purple Heart. His mother was Mrs. Minnie Pendergrass of Crossett.

Algie Lee Pennington

Pvt Algie L. Pennington, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Pennington of Crossett, was born February 11, 1926, and attended Crossett High School. He entered the Army May 19, 1944, enlisting at Camp Joseph T. Robinson in Little Rock, and trained at Camp Fannin, Texas, before going overseas to France in November, 1944.

He served in Germany and was awarded the marksmanship and several other medals. He was killed in action April 8, 1945, in Germany while serving with the 232 Infantry. A member of the First Baptist Church of Crossett, he worked for the Crossett Lumber Company until his induction.

He saw action in France before going to Germany. He is buried or has a memorial at the Simms Cemetery in North Crossett. He had a grammar school education and was single with no dependants according to his enlistment papers.

David Pryor

Listed on the base of the flagpole on the square as “colored.” A native of Louisiana who lived in Ashley County, he enlisted on September 19, 1943, in Shreveport, LA. His enlistment records indicate he had a grammar school education and was single with no dependants. He was born in 1920. No information was found on his death.

Recommended for you